Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Place...

Yes, we have found a place we like....like mind you, not LOVE! In these hectic times, with so much going on, that will do. We have put an offer, need to apply to the condo association, have to be approved, pay a ransom in fees and, if lucky, we will be moving....sometime. Let me explain all this. Since moving to Miami, we have been in the same place. It was a rental building, very well managed and perfect for our needs. Enter condo conversion!!!!

About four years into our lease, the building was sold to developers. A group of people that were more interested in making money than in getting this place in any semblance of efficiency. That was the way, when the housing market was at its peak and everyone was out to make money. Many actually did. Prices were outrageous, but we out in an offer. After all, we did love the place and I dreaded moving! Bad idea, we realized the place was not going to be managed as we would have liked, so we decided against it. Fortunately, the person that bought the apartment wanted it for investment and we could stay!!! I was so relieved!

Changes were not exactly what we expected, but we had nothing to do with that so we ignored them. Not so good idea.....anything that happened next was a disaster. The overinflated housing market bubble burst and property values plunged. Everyone and its brother (or wife!!!) scrambled for cover. Mortgages went into default and places went into foreclosure. Still, our apartment was alright...we didn't hear anything. Life was good in this corner of Miami and we were enjoying it! We were glad we have not bought a place in the area.

Enter papers of foreclosure for this unit! Where was that coming from? and how long did we have to make up our minds about moving? Retained a lawyer who advised us to wait for more specific news and expect to be moving in a couple of months. Sigh of relief! We went to London for the Holidays, then went to visit my mother in Panamá...ignoring the inevitable!!! Of course we looked at places and started to pack some things. Still, we were hoping for a resolution without too much hassle. Something along the lines of staying in the same building, for example. Definitely on Brickell Key.

Well, we didn't know the market in Miami. Finding a new place in the area we just love proved to be very hard. Some of these owners have not been reading the papers: prices were just insane. The more we looked, the less possible it seemed that we would find what we where looking for. On the other hand, this gave me a more complete idea of life on the island. It's still the best place to reside in Miami!!!

At the same time we were looking, the owner was showing our apartment. Or I was.....very annoying, but necessary. This gave me more incentives to look......but not for finding. I hate moving! We stayed seven years here and I was not going to move in a rush to a place that I might not like. I did not want a place that was a compromise and then have to move in a year. No way, I thought.....when I move, I want to be happy in my new place. And this is only renting, I hate to think what would happen if I was buying!

We looked in our building and looked everywhere, but were running out of time. Then things in our building turned a bit rocky.......I don't want to know details. A move to another building was now the only answer. I was a bit disappointed, because I do like the views here, the building is laid-back and it would be easier to move to just another floor! I know, that was compromise, but I was getting tired.....

This past week, we saw a lot of places. I took notes of everything I like and dislike on every visit. What we liked, we saw again and took more notes. Frankie went as an observer. Moves have always been something he avoids: he'll pay for them, but has no interest in how it's done. I do details......harder and more tiring. This was not going to be different, so why have arguments....go with the flow, Mercedes!!!

Anyway, we saw a place again yesterday. It is the closest we would get to what we want, without buying. We like the floor plan and the fact that is larger than our current place. The kitchen is an issue, but I'm not crazy about cooking, so I'll live with it. The views are alright, but we don't look into the bay directly, we face the city and just a sliver of the port. We face north this time. Some sun in the afternoon might be an issue in the Summer....I'll live with that too because it means I might see the sunsets!!! Absolutely trying to be positive here.....

So a compromise it is and we seem to be happy about it. Now we have to wait to be approved. Let me tell you, applying to the CIA should be a breeze after this. When I said I was not moving alone, I was asked who with: boyfriend or husband? Husband, I assured the lady at the office. Oh, she said, we need your marriage certificate! Really?, I have no clue where it is and can't make it to Boston to get a new one, would my passport do? It's in my married name, yes, but we'd need both, she said. I am still to sit down and answer the questionnaire. This is definitely NOT Life in the Tropics! Will keep you posted.......

2 comments:

Pratishtha Durga said...

Aww Merc... sounds intimidating enough! I hope you wade through the sea of paper-work and are able to make the house you like into something you LOVE.

Mercedes de Marchena said...

Thanks, Prati! We were approved and we get the keys on Monday......Keep your fingers crossed!

Now, the next comment....I have no idea what you are saying, but thank you for visiting my blog!