Friday, February 19, 2010

Moving.......

Not long ago, my good friend Prati (in Mumbai!!) moved into a new place. She has vowed to put all her belongings in two suitcases and rebuild her life after separating from her husband. I find that resolution very brave.....She is smart, young and attractive, has a job she loves, a family and a group of friends that are 100% behind her. I have no doubts that she'll succeed. She's blogging about it and I am so proud of her! I know, you are wondering what does this has to do with blogging about the Tropics.....well, as it happens... A LOT!!!

Since moving to Miami, my husband and I have debated about buying a condo here. First, it was the ridiculous prices for what was offered, the fact that we didn't know how long we would stay in the area, our children live far from here and are not fond of living in Miami. Later it was the fact that Frankie knows he could do his job anywhere, so why tie yourself to a place. Then we realized retirement is no longer something light years away: we are not getting any younger!! So we stayed in our beautiful apartment with gorgeous views to Biscayne Bay and hope for the best; after all Miami was booming...... then the bubble just burst!!! Oops, things were no longer sunny in the Sunshine State.

The apartment went to foreclosure and we are looking into moving out of it.......by yesterday!! I am going berserk looking at places, taking notes, looking for spacious dwellings with great views in the secluded and peaceful area we know lived in: Brickell Key. I refuse to move anywhere else!!! Not easy, I tell you. Life in the Tropics was never so hectic....I miss it! Some of my friends are suggesting moving back....I'm considering it, or not.

All the places I have seen are great, ones larger than others, but nothing perfect yet. We need a place with enough room for all my things, the ones I have in use and the ones I still have in storage. When I moved to Miami, I sold, gave away and threw out so much. I thought I was done downsizing. Unfortunately, it seems I still have too much, but this time I have no clue what I would get rid of...and this is where Prati's idea comes into place!

You would tell me that it's not the same. Prati has not yet accumulated anything close to what I have...and you might be right. In 36 years of marriage....you really can accumulate, trust me. Still, that is not the point. I once read the you should have in your home only: what's useful, beautiful or loved. I am able to decide on the first two: useful and beautiful.....but have a hard time trying to get rid of things I love. There are so many! Especially things belonging to my children, maybe because they have been living away from home for so long and have yet to settle in their own homes......if that makes any sense.

So back to Prati's idea. I have decided for now that I can start with baby steps: no more buying unless I am replacing, going through boxes and selecting certain things instead of keeping everything I brought from Curaçao, giving things away to people that will appreciate them and selecting some of them to give to charity. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but I will look to Prati for inspiration and will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Pratishtha Durga said...

Merc, I can relate to your dilemma. I have started the project, and trust me, it's all about baby steps. There is still so much in the house! Stuff that's useful, stuff I love and stuff that's beautiful. So I am trying to strike a balance. It takes time, but it is very liberating.

I understand how difficult it must be to let go of things belonging to your children. I saw mom do it. Hope you find a beautiful place, Merc.