Thursday, September 18, 2008

A wake up call.....

Life has a way of getting you to pay attention. For me, it came in the form of chest pains and a visit to the ER. After months of traveling back and forth to Panama, stressing about my mother's illness and her move to a new home, my body started sending me signals. Small pains, feeling tired, sleeplessness, but of course I was not having any of that. There was so much to do and so much to fix.....who said so?

Finally, Monday night, I started having chest pains for the third time in as many weeks. I am not fond of hospitals and I hate the thought of going for tests that would involve needles. Still, I decided to go to the nearest hospital's ER. As soon as I said I was having chest pains, I was ushered in. My vitals were checked and preliminary information taken. Then, of course, insurance information was asked for......you don't get anything for free.

The doctor was very reassuring and calmed me down, I was plugged into a host of electronic equipment and waited for six hours for an available bed. My husband was ready to take me home when I was taken upstairs. The night nurse was so helpful, and that was the last one! During the night I had people waking me up to take my blood pressure, draw blod or give me an EKG. So sleep was out of the question.

Morning came and with it more tests and more waiting. A cardiologist was called, but he didn't come until late afternoon. Mostly, I had more tests and waited which was very stressful. Food was horrific, but when you are hungry...also my husband brought me some comfort food. When the cardiologist finally came, he told me all tests were negatives. He advised a stress test to rule out all heart problems and I could go home. Well, not so fast said the nurse on duty. The floor doctor had to give his OK. We waited about two and half hours for that, and I went home. I was grateful.

Life is short and we have to take it easy, stop and smell the roses, tuberose, lilacs, marigolds or whatever flower tickles our fancy, or our noses. We cannot fix everything or solve the problems of the world, as my wise friend Ruth told me. That hasn't stop women from trying. We need to give ourselves the same level of care we give everyone else. Be assertive and take care of ourselves FIRST! I intend to do just that.....

2 comments:

Pratishtha Durga said...

Merc! What gives? I am so worried now. please take care of yourself. Don't forget to take time out for yourself. I am glad that the tests came negative. Let go of a few things. Please.

Mercedes de Marchena said...

Prati, dear friend...Thank you!
I am trying to keep focused on ME because you are absolutely...what gives?