Tuesday, September 23, 2008

ME first......

This is a new feeling. Getting up in the morning and just thinking what is it that I want to do..... This is most unusual for me and I guess for most women..... but I am determined to try. Don't get me wrong, it is not something you just do. After years and years of conditioning ourselves that we need to cater to our family and fellow men, catering to US comes hard.

We volunteer for everything from PTA to charity events, from organizing the school Halloween party to our best friend's baby shower. How many time we just raise our hand at a meeting and then have no clue what we are volunteering for? Or say YES to another committee because we subscribe to the premise that: if you are busy, another task will make no difference. Remember? if you want something done...ask someone that is already busy!!!! I remember doing that when I lived in Curaçao: for the American Women's Club or Special Olympics or the International School or Prinses Wilhelmina Fonds or anything else I was involved in. It seems completely natural and expected.

Well, it might be expected, but it isn't natural. We cannot be always busy, trying to right the world or solve every problem we encounter or trying to fix things and be everything to everyone. So this is the new ME. I am going to take time to do the things I always wanted. I will wake up in the morning and just lay there thinking of what I want to do next. I will NOT jump up and make that bed in record time or rush to get breakfast ready or get ready to run errands. All will be done in due time and when I feel my body is ready to get up and go!!!

I will write when I feel inspired and only about things I enjoy. I will check emails and messages twice a day and answer only the ones I want.... the delete key will be used more often. I will travel more to places I want to go, less to places I have to go! I will apply the old rules of my new lifestyle: try and concentrate on things I can enjoy, not solve.....and if I am busy already...I cannot take anything new on! This is going to be fun!

No comments: