Thursday, May 13, 2010

On Birthdays and Celebrations...

Are you beginning to see a pattern here?....well, you wouldn't be wrong. It's just that back in Curaçao, celebrations are important, and there is always something to celebrate! Really, can't think why this doesn't happen everywhere. It makes for such a fun way of life. Does it have something to do with life in a small place or is it just idiosyncrasy? Or maybe is just the fact that there people have a more engaging way of life? Or is it that there people are happier? Which ever it is, it's a lot nicer, trust me!

This week was a friend's birthday. Milan is so much fun, full of life and engaged with the world around her. Much more than most of my friends, I tell you. Every time I think of her, I can see and hear her laughing. Isn't that a nice picture? Anyway, yesterday was her birthday. For days, her husband Alan, who is Frankie's cousin, announced to the world, through Facebook, this coming event. It was a countdown of sorts and so nice.

I am sure the day went wonderfully, she was surrounded by her family and dear friends, enjoying life as she always does. This is her biggest strength. I remember she loves birthdays. When her children were growing up, they had the most fabulous birthday parties. All with a central theme, everything coordinate to the last detail and so much fun. One year there were watermelons everywhere, a soda fountain, flowers....you name it, she did it. Still have pictures somewhere! She should have gone into business with those ideas, but then, maybe that would have ruined the whole thing.

Last year, I happened to be in Curaçao for her birthday, so I went to her home. She was on the phone, laughing with well wishers, entertaining someone sitting in her welcoming porch, waiving goodbye to passersby....and enjoying every minute. There was coffee, tea and cool drinks, there were pastechis, croket and bolo (meat turnovers, croquettes and cake). Once I sat down, I was served something delicious, she thanked me for dropping by, made sure I was comfortable, all the while making everything look so easy.

This was not an anja será birthday (birthdays ending in 5 or 0), so I am looking forward to that celebration...and if I am around, I will attend for sure: it's going to be great!.

No comments: