Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas has arrived.....

I have been delaying, playing busy with other things, telling myself that I'll do it tomorrow...but my children get home on the 19th, not too much time left to get the house ready. So today I did something I haven't done in almost five years: I took out my Christmas decorations from storage and got ready to decorate my house.... I know, every year since I moved to Miami, I have decorated in one way or another. One year all in silver, one all in red and the last two years, not much....since we have traveled at this time of the year.

Not this time, no buying new decorations that mean very little, I am a traditionalist when it comes to the Holidays. This time, I took out the decorations I have been accumulating since I got married, since the children were, well, children!! Each one has a special meaning, a special memory attached to it. Sort of a Christmas family history, and it has been so wonderful to see all those old friends again. I have no clue how I will manage to put up all those things up, this apartment is half the size of our old house, so I am sure some picking and choosing will have to take place. Still it feels great!

With Christmas music in the background, I am unpacking and remembering and enjoying. It has been a journey into our past, our times together as a family, the trips we took, the decorations we picked, the ones the children made, the ones given by friends now living far or the ones given by dear ones no longer with us. There have been laughter and tears and joy and a bit of sadness, but most of all it has been well worth the wait! This will be a Christmas to remember, one more in a long line of celebrations....can't wait to see the children's faces when they see all this again!!!


No comments: