Monday, May 19, 2008

Smoke and Rain, only in Miami!

Amazing! yes, it is true. I have been suffering with allergies for weeks now; cement dust being the major culprit. Headaches and watery eyes and a dry cough. I have been miserable!!! Don't recall anything this bad in years....

As with anything here, I spoke too soon. This past week, some deranged man started a fire in Central Florida. With the dry season still lingering in many parts of the state, the consequences have been devastating. Thousands of acres of land have been burned out, hundred of homes either destroyed or damaged, so many people affected. Today, even the Everglades are in danger of going up in flames.....it would just take a thunderstorm. Did you know that Florida is one of the most prolific lighting producing areas of the world?

So, this morning, going out grocery shopping....not one of my favorite chores and getting worse with food prices out of hand....I encountered a hazy world. It looked as if there were low clouds....but hot and oppressive. It certainly didn't look like rain, I deduced it was....smoke! Of course it was, those fires were out of control and spreading. I later heard that there are a couple of them raging in South Miami-Dade county.

I quickly bought what was needed at the nearest supermarket, never mind prices! Got home just in time to get everything up before the elevators were closed down for repairs........yes, that too happened today. When it rains, it pours...figuratively I thought! Too soon, AGAIN.... I looked out the window and everything looked dreary and a light drizzle was falling. And soon after...oh my...rain!!! Real and coming down in buckets. Couldn't see Fisher Island or Key Biscayne or the bridge over to Brickell Avenue. It looked awful because the smoke was still lingering...how was that possible? Only in Miami. Since I cannot contemplate what this will do to my allergies, I am staying put.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see Monday's Miami Herald is advising 'Avoid activities that put extra demands on your lungs and heart. These include exercising or physical chores, both outdoors and indoors.' Just in case you needed a rationale..............nudge, wink.

Mercedes de Marchena said...

Thanks, Ginnie!!!
Trust me, I'm staying put.....

Pratishtha Durga said...

Oh Merc, that sounds aweful! Though Mumbai sounds and smells like that on most days of the year. Smoke or not :)

I am dreading the monsoons. Now that I am working, having to travel an hour and a half in pouring rains is definitley not what I look forward to.

Mercedes de Marchena said...

Prati,
Things are getting better, but not much. I do understand about the monsoons....we have hurricanes!
Your job sounds wonderful, "a little rain" will not make it less so...