Friday, January 25, 2008

There and back again....

Sounds too much like a Hobbit? Well, it's just how I feel. I came back from Panama a couple of days ago. After returning from London the week before, I took off for Panama. Once again, my mother's care demanded my presence. She needs to move to a more practical house where she can be comfortable. After her stroke, the old family home has become too complicated for her. It has steps everywhere, doorways are too narrow and the stairs up to the front door are a serious obstacle. So moving her has become a priority.

Have to say that things went rather well. My sisters came as well and found a house, hired a contractor and ordered the necessary changes to move our mother in about two months. We also arranged for a new kind of care. Instead of round the clock nurses, that she doesn't require anymore, we have hired a companion that will live with her. All in a record time of one week! That is efficiency, for sure. Or not.

To round things up, we attended a wedding! The daughter of one of our cousins got married in a lovely afternoon ceremony, in an old colonial church. My sisters and I got all dressed up and walked to church. It was such a nice thing to do, old fashioned and familiar at the same time. The bride looked beautiful, her father looked emotional, but pleased; her mother cried. The reception was in the garden of the bride's parents' home, under tall trees, with the gentle breeze rustling the leaves.

Everyone was there. I saw people I hadn't seen in ages. There was music, food and drinks. There was dancing and fireworks and champagne. The food was excellent, the drinks were generous and the dancing was glorious. In the wee hours of the morning, we were served more food, just to keep us going, I guess. Nobody wanted to go home. We had a great time!

So all went well... we laughed till we cried, talked late into the night and planned for the future. Like Bilbo Baggins' holiday........it was a trip there and back again and we also accomplished so much.

No comments: