Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lighter Musings

All this depressing news....I have to get back to the things that motivate me and made me start this blog: my experiences abroad, my life in the Tropics. Since moving to Miami, domesticity has become more and more part of my daily routine. Yes, I write, I meet deadlines and I go about my life. Still, the daily chores are part of this...and where is a good housekeeper when you need her?

Today, I was trying to get the silver organized: take it out, clean some of it...I know this seems so trivial in the mist of the market scare...but, you know, we need to do what we can control! So, I took these things out and looked at them. Is it really necessary to have them shiny? is it really worth it? I love to see them shine , but what for. I never use my more formal things, our life here is very casual...even more than in Curaçao. Amazing!

Let me give you an example. I have a large collection of silver spoons, the small ones you use for coffee or tea. Love to look around for them in antique shops or estate sales, friends and family give them to me as presents....well, I have not used one of them since we moved. Nobody here comes to your house just for coffee or tea...everyone wants to meet you somewhere. Dinner parties are rare, better go out to a restaurant. The niceties of sitting down with friends for a coffee morning, for afternoon tea, are not part of the culture here in Miami. What a shame!

Back in Curaçao, besides my bridge mornings, there was always someone receiving friends at home for a cup of tea or coffee. It was a simple pleasure and I miss that. It made for more communication with your friends and family, it made a difference in your day. Ah, the good old days! I am beginning to realize that I am looking back, more than looking forward...is this old age or just homesickness? Powerful thoughts for another day.....

No comments: